Thursday 11 August 2011

Autumn/Winter 2011: My take on some of the trends

I absolutely love it when the new season items appear in the high street shops, magazines, fashion blogs and on the bargain fashion websites. There are many trends that take my fancy this season but I am only going to discuss a few for now.

Even though I am only 5ft 3, I am coveting a pleated midi skirt in an autumnal colour like orange or mustard. A nice berry tone would be great for evening too. River Island seem to have the best selection. If you're short like me, just add a pair of wedges to lengthen those legs.
The same applies to 40's style pencil skirts but try court shoes rather than wedges to keep your look in proportion.

I'm glad that leopard print is still around. It seems to be the trend that never dies but this works to my advantage as I can recycle my favourite leopard print pieces, just like Princess Kate recycles her fashion classics. I have a structured leopard print dress from Warehouse which I can get more wear out of this season, teaming it with red or wine lips.

Block colours are still going strong and luckily, I have some left over from the summer. I've also invested in a mustard lace dress from Missguided, my favourite bargain fashion website. (www.missguided.co.uk)

The return of star print is also great news for me and I have dug out my New Look star print dress from 2008! Try Topshop, Debenhams and AX Paris for star print items.

One of my favourite trends are Peter Pan collars on tops and dresses. They are available in many colours but I find that the black and white styles are the most classic and stylish. I have already invested in a black and cream blouse from missguided and I have a peach, sleeveless shirt that I bought from New Look a couple of months ago. This will look great under jumpers with the collar showing through as the weather gets colder. These blouses go well with skinny trousers and a blazer, which incorporate the masculine trend.

I love the 60's and 70's trends. Shift dresses and jumpsuits or silky palazzos are great wardrobe staples that you can start wearing right now. You may even have some 70's inspired items from the summer that you can take through into Autumn/Winter.

I am also a fan of the gothic and fetish trends. I love sexy, black items for a night out, especially my shiny, black American Apparell leggings. I have a sheer, black Zara shirt with a high Victorian collar which is a nod to the goth trend. I have bought into the fetish trend with a tight, faux leather H&M skirt with silver zips. (£15)

My favourite new seasons colours are emerald green, red, mustard, burgundy and orange. Monocrome is also a stylish and classic colour combination which is on trend this season. You probably have some black and white items in your wardrobe already which you can mix and match to create a fashionable look.

No comments:

Post a Comment